5,604,292 Members 48,955 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
Forgot your password?

Post Reply+

[INFO] Root, install TWRP, install CM10, general how to's

Tip us?

lp894
Old
(Last edited by lp894; 4th April 2013 at 06:42 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Post [INFO] Root, install TWRP, install CM10, general how to's

This is posted here because theres no "General" section for the KFDH8

There's really go guides/how to's/info all in one place for the KFHD8 so I figured I'd put one together. I didn't come up with any of this stuff, but I searched high and low for some of these answers and some aren't "simple" to find.

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY, CAUSES BIG FOOT TO DO UNMENTIONABLE THINGS TO YOU WHILE YOU'RE SLEEP, OR IN ANY OTHER WAY RUINS YOUR LIFE. THESE ARE ALL PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

[How To] Root Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
The author of the OP asked the file not be mirrored anywhere else, so please don't take the file and create another post with the file mirrored. If the link doesn't work, the op is located here. You need to post there or here and ask someone for a link via PM. ALSO This does NOT Install Busy Box, you'll need to download and install that once you get the market installed.
Quote:
1 - Download the .zip file here
2 - Extract the file to the folder of your choice
3 - Double click the "RunMe.bat" file and follow the directions
(note, there is a step that will ask you to type something on your screen, watch for it, otherwise you'll have to start over)
Alternatively, you can download and use the tool located here. It'll automatically root it for you when you do the Restore+Root option(but it's a 1.1gb file so prepare for a lengthy download time)
[How To] Install TWRP on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
The instructions and files are found here along with REALLY good instructions. Little hint: when you're typing in the code, it's probably best to just copy and past what Hashcode typed up rather than try to type it out yourself.
Link to CM10.1(Android 4.2.2): Files plus are all listed here. Just download the files, copy to your kindle, boot into recovery(with the device powered off, hold Vol + and power. Release power once you see the Kindle logo but keep holding Vol + until it boots into TWRP), and install.NOTE: THERE IS AN EXTRA STEP IF YOU HAVE SYSTEM VERSION 8.3!
[How To] Install gApps onto the Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
In order to do this you need a file explorer app that will allow you to write to the system folder and change file permissions(I.E. - ES File Explorer)
Quote:
1 - Download the file located here
2 - Extract the file and copy the Apps folder to your kindle(located under the "System" folder once the file is extracted)
3 - Navigate to the Apps folder you just copied to your Kindle and install GoogleServicesFramework.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk
4 - Copy Phonesky.apk and Talk.apk to /system/app on your Kindle
5 - Change the permissions of Phonesky.apk and Talk.apk so they're set to the following:
User: Read Write
Group: Read
Others: Read
6 - Install Phonesky.apk and Talk.apk and reboot the device
Google Play Market should now show up under your apps. Just to be safe, I also reinstall GoogleServicesFramework.apk and GoogleLoginService.apk again just to be sure...probably not needed...but it's what I do
[How To] Set a different default launcher on your Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
You can do this 1 of 2 ways, the way I'm listing is "fool proof" so to speak, but require you to purchase Titanium Backup Pro. The other way doesn't cost anything, but also doesnt work for EVERY launcher(such as ADW.Launcher EX). The other way with directions is here(though it says it's for the Kindle Fire 7, it will work on the 8.9" too)
Quote:
1 - Download your launcher of choice(I prefer Go Launcher HD for Pad and install from Google Play
2 - Open Titanium Backup Pro
3 - Go to the "Backup/Restore" tab, long press on the launcher you just installed and click "Convert to system app"
4 - Press the "home" buttom and it will prompt which launcher you want to use
[How To] Remove Bloatware from your Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
Again, there are two ways to do this(one being use ADB and manually delete the apps from the /system/app folder) but again, this way is probably a bit safer
Quote:
1 - Open Titanium Pro
2 - Go to the "Backup/Restore" tab
A - If the app you want to remove is RED then you have to long press on the app, select "Convert to user app", long press it again, and select "Backup-->Verify-->Uninstall"(this will back it up in case you need to reinstall it)
B - If the app you want to remove is white, then you can just long press and select "Backup-->Verify-->Uninstall
C - If the app you want to remove is RED AND doesn't give the option to convert it to a system app, if you can just tap the app name(not long press) and select "Freeze App" that will disable the app so it's not used anymore.
Q. Why can't I get certain apps to install on my Kindle Fire DH 8.9" through Google Play?
A. That's because the KFHD8 isn't supposed to have Google Play on it, so certain apps will say they aren't compatible with your device. The way around that is to either A - change your build.prop so that it shows a different device(which I wouldn't do if I was you) or B - Use Market Helper. It will fool the Play Market into thinking you have a different device which will allow you to install the "restricted" apps. You'll need Root, GoogleServicesFramework and GoogleLoginServices installed for this to work.

Q. When I try to use "X" app, it says Google is requesting permissions to log-in, but when I click on the notification, it just disappears.
A. You need to install GoogleLoginServices

Q. Why can't I add widgets to my homescreen when using my customer launcher?
A. The Kindle Fire does not by default support homescreen widgets, this you need to install the App Widget Picker THEN set a widget.

Q. When I try to open Gmail it just says the app has stopped...why?
A. You need to install Account and Sync Settings.

Q. OH NOOO!!!! I FUBAR'ed MY KFHD8!!! HOW DO I RESET IT BACK TO FACTORY?!?!?!?!
Download and use the tool located here

Q. Is the SIM card in my KFHD8 removable? If so, is the tablet unlocked?
A. The sim card is removable. It's located on the top left side of the device. And yes, it is unlocked. BUT there are no T-Mobile 3g/4g bands as seen in the FCC doc here.

That's all for now folks! I'll add more as it comes along. If you see a mistake or think something might be a good idea to add...just lemme know...i'll get it added!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lp894 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fungflex
Old
Thanks Meter 88

DONATE TO ME
I totally agree with most of these steps, especially rooting and TWRP. However, in my opinion a simpler way to get things like a new launcher and the android market on the kindle with an application called KindleFree - http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...indle-fire-hd/

Its a straight forward APK that does most of the work for you in regards to installing services and getting things configured. There is a free version linked and after using the free version to get the process started a paid version will let you complete the rest of the setup (It costs $1).

It was a life saver for me because of its simplicity.
MPX200 ► MPX220 ► MPX300 ► Siemens SX66 ► HTC 2125 ► HTC SDA ► HTC 8125 ► Samsung Blackjack ► HTC Dash ► Palm Treo 750 ► HTC 3125 ► HTC 8525 ► HTC s710 ► Moto Q ► Dopod C730 ► HTC TILT ► HTC Touch Dual ► Palm Treo Pro ► HTC Advantage ► HTC G1 ► Nexus One ► HTC EVO 4g ► HTC HD2 ► HTC Desire ► Moto Droid 2 ► Dell Venue Pro ► Nexus S ► HTC Radar 4g ► Galaxy Nexus ► HTC One X ► Nexus 7 ► Kindle Fire HD 8.9 ► HTC first

Twitter: @Fung | AIM: FungFlex | Feedback: HowardForums | 2 | Ebay
The Following User Says Thank You to fungflex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sisterchick
Old
Thanks Meter 204
If you have installed TWRP recovery, can't you just flash the last ICS gapps from recovery?
@sisterchick
Galaxy Note 8 N5110 stock ● Nexus S i9020a with Skinny CM11 Nightly
Legacy: HTC G1 ● HTC Desire Z ● Nook Color with CM10 on EMCC and Tablet UI Mod

mmesh
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Rooting 8.3.1

Hi!

I forgot to opt-out of automatic updates and today my KFHD8 has updated itself to v8.3.1.
I tried to root it againg using Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v27 (from the link on the thread You provided) but after saying it was a success and rebooting I tried running "SuperSU" and I get this message:
Quote:
"There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it."
And I tried:
PHP Code:
adb shell su 
to confirm but it also states that:
Quote:
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
What can I do about it? Please, help!

nikonx
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I'm about to order a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and wanted to get confirmation that rooting and custom rom installation is working on the 8.3.1 version of the firmware. Thanks!

apd
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Yes 8.3.1 can be rooted and you can install a custom rom. There is a thread in Q&A called rooting 8.3.1 from scratch that has detailed instructions if you need help.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmesh View Post
Hi!

I forgot to opt-out of automatic updates and today my KFHD8 has updated itself to v8.3.1.
I tried to root it againg using Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v27 (from the link on the thread You provided) but after saying it was a success and rebooting I tried running "SuperSU" and I get this message:

And I tried:
PHP Code:
adb shell su 
to confirm but it also states that:

What can I do about it? Please, help!
The rooting did not work for some reason - try it again.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

TheManiac
Old
Thanks Meter 40
what option do u use for the program?
Im guessing special option, but just want to make sure.

F@@dog
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp894 View Post
This is posted here because theres no "General" section for the KFDH8

There's really go guides/how to's/info all in one place for the KFHD8 so I figured I'd put one together. I didn't come up with any of this stuff, but I searched high and low for some of these answers and some aren't "simple" to find.

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY, CAUSES BIG FOOT TO DO UNMENTIONABLE THINGS TO YOU WHILE YOU'RE SLEEP, OR IN ANY OTHER WAY RUINS YOUR LIFE. THESE ARE ALL PERFORMED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

[How To] Root Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
The author of the OP asked the file not be mirrored anywhere else, so please don't take the file and create another post with the file mirrored. If the link doesn't work, the op is located here. You need to post there or here and ask someone for a link via PM. ALSO This does NOT Install Busy Box, you'll need to download and install that once you get the market installed.

[How To] Install TWRP on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

[How To] Install gApps onto the Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
In order to do this you need a file explorer app that will allow you to write to the system folder and change file permissions(I.E. - ES File Explorer)

[How To] Set a different default launcher on your Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
You can do this 1 of 2 ways, the way I'm listing is "fool proof" so to speak, but require you to purchase Titanium Backup Pro. The other way doesn't cost anything, but also doesnt work for EVERY launcher(such as ADW.Launcher EX). The other way with directions is here(though it says it's for the Kindle Fire 7, it will work on the 8.9" too)

[How To] Remove Bloatware from your Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
Again, there are two ways to do this(one being use ADB and manually delete the apps from the /system/app folder) but again, this way is probably a bit safer

Q. Why can't I get certain apps to install on my Kindle Fire DH 8.9" through Google Play?
A. That's because the KFHD8 isn't supposed to have Google Play on it, so certain apps will say they aren't compatible with your device. The way around that is to either A - change your build.prop so that it shows a different device(which I wouldn't do if I was you) or B - Use Market Helper. It will fool the Play Market into thinking you have a different device which will allow you to install the "restricted" apps. You'll need Root, GoogleServicesFramework and GoogleLoginServices installed for this to work.

Q. When I try to use "X" app, it says Google is requesting permissions to log-in, but when I click on the notification, it just disappears.
A. You need to install GoogleLoginServices

Q. Why can't I add widgets to my homescreen when using my customer launcher?
A. The Kindle Fire does not by default support homescreen widgets, this you need to install the App Widget Picker THEN set a widget.

Q. When I try to open Gmail it just says the app has stopped...why?
A. You need to install Account and Sync Settings.

Q. OH NOOO!!!! I FUBAR'ed MY KFHD8!!! HOW DO I RESET IT BACK TO FACTORY?!?!?!?!
Download and use the tool located here

Q. Is the SIM card in my KFHD8 removable? If so, is the tablet unlocked?
A. The sim card is removable. It's located on the top left side of the device. And yes, it is unlocked. BUT there are no T-Mobile 3g/4g bands as seen in the FCC doc here.

That's all for now folks! I'll add more as it comes along. If you see a mistake or think something might be a good idea to add...just lemme know...i'll get it added!
when I try to download all I get is a .js file